Blogger in The Machine
(photo courtesy Let Me Eat Cake)
I know it's been quite a while since I've posted here on Burnt Lumpia, but it turns out that running a small business is somewhat time intensive (who the eff knew?).
But I did want to quickly check in with my readers (do I still have any left?) and provide a little rundown of what's been happening with me and The Manila Machine for the past few weeks.
We've been rolling for almost two months now, and while this is the hardest thing I've ever attempted, it's been fun (for the most part). Here are some highlights:
- The Manila Machine was featured in Asian Journal
- We appeared on television not once, but twice (and a third time coming soon!)
- Filipino Funny Man, Jo Koy, stopped by the truck and loved the food:
- We hand rolled 2,500 lumpia, and braised 150 pounds of pork belly for the LA Street Food Fest at the Rose Bowl.
- We won the runner-up award for Best Nouveau Street Food at the LA Street Food Fest as judged by such culinary luminaries as Chef Susan Feniger and Chef Walter Manzke.
- A Pulitzer-prize winning food critic thought my Pork Belly and Pineapple Adobo was pretty decent.
- And I'm going to be contributing a weekly piece to Serious Eats detailing some of the ins and outs of Los Angeles Food Trucking.
But it hasn't been all tulips folks; there's been some real turds too--turds I'll report on at some other time. Spreading the Gospel of Filipino food is no easy task. So please keep reading and sending good vibes my way! Please!
At the very least, if my inconsistent appearances in this space aren't enough, I do post semi-regularly on The Manila Machine website--so feel free to check in with me there and leave comments, hate mail, etc. I miss everyone here, so even your hate mail will be welcomed! (I think I'm going through food blogging withdrawals).
And lastly, if you aren't following The Manila Machine on Twitter yet, you gots to do so now! So follow us on Twitter to get the low down on LA's First Filipino Food Truck: The Manila Machine.
And I promise, I'll post something soon here that's an actual food post and not a plug for my latest venture (well, at least not entirely). Stay tuned!